Parents Coronavirus FAQs

We have been talking to local families and Community Champions about what questions they had about coronavirus. Here are some of the topics that came up:

National advice: 


What should I do if my child has symptoms of coronavirus?

Children can get coronavirus (COVID-19), but they seem to get it less often than adults and it's usually less serious. If your child has a high temperature or a new, continuous cough call 111:


When should I worry? 

NHS advice for parents and what to do if your child has some of the coronavirus symptoms: 


When should I take my child to hospital?

If you or your child has symptoms of Coronavirus do not go to places like walk-in centres, urgent treatment centres or hospitals. If you need urgent medical help, call 111.


The best place to get accurate health information is the NHS website You can also check your GP surgery's website or call your GP.


What about health issues that aren’t coronavirus related, where can I go?

Children and babies will still get illnesses that can make them very unwell quickly. It's important to get medical help when you need it. The Royal College of Paediatrics has made this really useful poster with advice for parents on what help to get, when:


What do we do if someone we live with has coronavirus symptoms?

How to looking after yourself if you or someone you live with has symptoms and advice on not leaving your home (self-isolation):


What does the Coronavirus cough sound like?

Laura Foster, BBC News’ Health and Science Reporter, explains the cough and fever symptoms of coronavirus in adults [children might have a fever or show other signs of illness such as a headache, tummy ache, vomiting or diarrhoea with no cough]:


What should I do if my child has a cough or temperature?

How to look after your child's cough or temperature and when to get help:


Can I give my child ibuprofen to help with coronavirus symptoms?
Parents can give either paracetamol or ibuprofen, if needed, to treat symptoms of fever or pain unless your doctor has told you paracetamol or ibuprofen is not suitable for your child:


What are the at risk health conditions for children? 

‘Protecting your child from infection including shielding the most vulnerable’ has advice for parents on children who are at higher risk of getting a severe infection:


How do I know if my child has severe asthma?

For advice on what counts as high risk asthma (see the shielding advice for very high risk groups page and what to do if you have asthma:


What should I do about routine vaccinations?

GP surgeries are making special efforts to make it safe for babies and children to still have their vaccinations e.g. using a separate entrance. It is important that your child still has their routine vaccinations. Contact your GP if you know your child is due a routine vaccination.


Should my child/baby still have their vaccinations if they are shielding or vunerable?

If possible, your child should still be taken for their routine vaccinations. Starting and completing your child’s vaccinations on time will help to protect them from a range of serious and sometimes life-threatening infections. If your child is particularly vulnerable speak to Speak GP first.


Is it safe to wait until secondary schools reopen for my child to have their booster vaccination?

School-aged vaccinations will be rescheduled. School-aged vaccinations are not as time critical as vaccinations for pre-school children so rescheduling will not put pupils at risk.


How can I get an emergency dentist appointment?

In England, some routine dental treatments are available again. Call or email your dentist. Only visit your dentist if you've been told to.

If you need urgent dental treatment:

  • call your dentist
  • use the NHS 111 online service if you cannot contact your dentist or you do not have one

What if I’m worried about my children’s mental health?

Tips for young people on how to looking after mental health whilst self isolating


Good Thinking provides mental health and wellbeing advice for parents in London. They also have specific resources for autism, eating disorders and ADHD:


What should I do if my child has anxiety or if I’m feeling anxious?

Tips on how to talk to your children about coronavirus and what to do if you or they are feeling anxious:


Kooth is an online counselling and emotional wellbeing platform for children and young people. Young people can chat online to professionally accredited counsellors or write and read blogs from other young people.


How should I explain why my children can’t see their friends or family?

The children's guide to coronavirus by the Children's Commissioner helps to answer questions and explains how to stay safe and protect others, how to make the most of staying at home and how to keep in touch with friends and family online:


For younger Children there is a new Nurse Dotty book 'Dave the Dog is worried about coronavirus', to help present the facts is a reassuring way. It's free to download:


How to cope with all being in a small space together? 

Here are some extra ideas from the arts team at Imperial Health Charity to keep you busy, active and creative:


Dr Becky Armstrong and the Imperial Paeds Psychology Team have pulled together a detailed toolkit to help you look after your family when you are all at home together, email if you would like us to email you the toolkit. 


What help can I get to support lost income?

Information on the Coronavirus Job Retention scheme and other support: See more information from your local borough below. 


How can I keep in touch with my faith at the moment?

The interdenominational chaplaincy team at Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust have recommended a range of online support for our faith communities:

Local resources: what help can i get?

Healthwatch Central West London have a new page with information on health, social care, mental health, food banks, housing and different health conditions:


Kensington and Chelsea:


Hammersmith and Fulham:

How can I help in my community?

If you have started supporting elderly people in your community and need guidance Age UK have a free, confidential helpline for practical advice (7 days a week, 8:00am - 7:00pm) 0800 169 6565 


You can find your local volunteering group here or register with your borough:

Imperial Health Charity Imperial Health Charity are not currently looking to appoint any more volunteers. Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust want to say a big thank you to the 300+ Crisis Response Volunteers who have joined our teams since the end of March.


With special thanks to our Practice Champion Hanan Ghouneim for all your time and input into the FAQs.

Updated 9 June 2020